Friday, January 6, 2012

2012 - Project #1 - Homemade Laundry Detergent

Do you have a running list of projects to which you keep adding but rarely cross off? No? Just me? Okay then. Well I've decided that this is the year of crossing them off and sharing them with you in the process.

I've been wanting to try this recipe for homemade laundry detergent but was scared that, after making the 10 gallons, we would hate it. Then a friend made some and shared a sample. (A very nice friend thing to do.) And now - we have our own 5 gallon bucket in the laundry room filled with homemade laundry detergent. The awesome thing? I spent a total of $12 (including the bucket and lid) and have ingredients left over for future batches. And it only took about 10 minutes to make.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I will be interested in a review once you've tried it! Does it smell good?

Emilie said...

yes - I used some that a friend made and loved it. Smells fresh and does a great job. Want to borrow some and try it?

Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea on how much to use per load with an HE washer? I just made a batch this morning but have a new washer. ???

Emilie said...

according to the recipe website you use:
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)